MASILC members are persons who are knowledgeable about Centers for Independent Living and the services they provide. The majority of SILC members are individuals with disabilities who are not employed by a MA state agency or Independent Living Center.
MASILC members attend quarterly meetings, and serve on a least one SILC committee.
The SILC is responsible for developing the State Plan for Independent Living in cooperation with the Independent Living Centers of Massachusetts.
The SILC is an equal partner with the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission (MRC) in establishing IL policy through its sign-off authority in the Three Year Plan for Independent Living. The Rehabilitation Act directs the State Plan to address, on a statewide and comprehensive basis, the needs for: the provision of IL services, the development and support of a statewide network of Centers for Independent Living (CILs), working relationships between programs providing independent living services and CILs, MRC, MCB (MA Commission for the Blind), and other programs providing services for individuals with disabilities.
- The SILC Nominations and Development Committee will review applications and if appropriate complete a short interview.
- Applicants are then forwarded to the Executive Committee and the full membership for approval.
- Approved applications are sent to the Governor’s Office of Boards and Commissions.
- The Governor’s Office of Boards and Commissions will send applicants a Background Check form. This must be filled out and returned to the address on the form.
- The Governor’s Office makes final recommendations for appointments to the Governor.
- Approved appointees must take the oath of office before becoming active voting members.
- Docx Version – Regular print: appl_appt_gov_2018_form.docx
- Docx Version – Large print: appl_appt_gov_2018_form_large.docx
All completed forms need to be sent to:
Massachusetts Statewide Independent Living Council
Nominations and Outreach Committee
1 Clarks Hill, Suite 200
Framingham, MA 01702
Please contact the SILC Office directly for any reasonable accommodation requests.
Or Apply On-Line
Apply at masilc.formstack.com